Kids more often searching for YouTube than sex
School's out. So what do kids do? They play outside, they play games and they... search. Apparently they want to look for YouTube - videos. Security company Symantec decided to do a little research among the users of their OnlineFamily.Norton service. Turns out YouTube is the most searched for term, sex only comes fourth.
A total of 3.5 million searches that were submitted by users of their OnlineFamily.Norton service were tracked. With that Symantec came up with a top 100 of searches. The videosite YouTube is the most searched for website, but combined searches for artists and their songs also account for a lot of traffic.
Looking through the list there are some noticeable searches which are popular with kids. The 'regular' searches like YouTube, Google and Facebook make the top three, but then it gets interesting. Not surprisingly kids are interested in (pop)stars, games and movies. But the list also contains some more explicit searches.
Some interesting findings:
- Eight of the hundred search terms are sex-related. If that is high? Well, we are talking about kids here...
- Michael Jackson comes up on the number eight spot, not surprising for adults, but kids also seem to be fans.
- A fictional character whose YouTube channel has become a hit among kids, Fred hits the 9th spot.
- Norton Safety Minder, the software by Norton on spot 21, were they trying to find out to de-install it? Why are kids searching for this?
- XXX: a term which means 'kisses', why are they searching for that?
- And how would Ask.com feel with position 98?
The complete list:
- Michael Jackson
- Fred (A popular fictional character whose YouTube channel has become a hit among kids.)
- You Tube
- Miley Cyrus (Singer and star of the Disney Channel’s hit series “Hannah Montana.”)
- Webkinz (Toy stuffed animal that comes with a secret code, allowing kids access to the Webkinz World website.)
- Miniclip (Website with a variety of free online games.)
- Taylor Swift (Country-pop singer)
- Norton Safety Minder (The small software that is part of Symantec’s OnlineFamily.Norton service. It is installed on each child’s monitored computer and actively informs the child upon log-in that their parents are monitoring their online activities.)
- Club Penguin (A massively multiplayer online game where kids use cartoon penguins as avatars.)
- Addicting games (Website with a variety of free online games.)
- Boom Boom Pow (Black Eyed Peas’ hit song.)
- Hannah Montana (Disney Channel’s hit series where the main character is played by Miley Cyrus.)
- Twilight (Vampire-romance novel by Stephenie Meyer, which has become a hit movie.)
- Lady Gaga (American recording artist responsible for hits like “Just Dance” and “Poker Face.”)
- Yahoo Mail
- Runescape (A massively multiplayer online role-playing game.)
- Facebook Login
- Poker Face (Hit pop song by American recording artist Lady Gaga.)
- Lil Wayne (American Grammy Award-winning rapper)
- Disney Channel
- Google Earth
- Megan Fox (American actress and star of the Transformers film.)
- Jonas Brothers (American pop boy band)
- Pokemon (Nintendo media franchise that includes video games, trading cards, toys, books, etc.)
- +Eminem (American rapper, record producer and actor)
- +Halo (First-person shooter video game)
- The Climb (Hit song by Miley Cyrus)
- Poptropica (Virtual world for kids where they can play games and communicate with other kids.)
- Selena Gomez (Actress and singer who plays Alex Russon on Disney Channel’s Wizards of Waverly Place.)
- +Google maps
- +New Moon (The second book in Stephenie Meyer’s Twilight series.)
- +Right Round (Hit song by rapper Flo Rida)
- Hoedown throwdown (Hit song by Miley Cyrus)
- MySpace layouts (Various websites offer layouts that MySpace users can download to customize their MySpace profiles.)
- I’m on a Boat (Song by The Lonely Islands, featuring R&B singer T-Pain.)
- Don’t Trust Me (Hit song by the band 3Oh!3)
- Soulja Boy (Various YouTube videos that parody Soulja Boy’s “Crank That” video.)
- Photobucket (Website that offers image hosting and free photo and video sharing.)
- Demi Lovato (Actress and singer-songwriter best known for her role as Mitchie Torres in the television movie Camp Rock and Sonny Monroe in Sonny With A Chance.)
- Family Guy (Animated TV sitcom that airs on Fox.)
- +Britney Spears (Hit singer and entertainer)
- +Thriller (Michael Jackson’s hit 1983 song)
- +Transformers 2 (Action film based on cartoon series and released in theaters in June 2009.)
- Cartoon Network
- Boom Boom Pow Black Eyed Peas (Black Eyed Peas’ hit song.)
- Beyonce (R&B singer, songwriter, record producer and actress)
- Harry Potter (Main character and title of J.K. Rowling’s series of novels and films.)
- Best Buy
- Gummy Bear Song (Dance song by German composer Christian Schneider. It was released online with a 30-second video clip, which has spread virally worldwide.)
- New Moon Trailer (Movie trailer for the second film in the Twilight series.)
- Naked girls
- Hulu (Free online video service that streams TV shows and movies.)
- +iTunes (Apple’s digital media player)
- +Norton Online Family (Beta name for Symantec’s OnlineFamily.Norton family safety service)
- Swine flu
- Chris Brown (Singer best known for hits like “Forever” and “With You.”)
- Black Eyed Peas (Hip hop/pop group comprised of will.i.am, apl.de.ap, Taboo, and Fergie)
- Nigahiga (Comedic Hawaiian troop whose videos have become a hit on YouTube and other sites.)
- +Kiss Me Thru the Phone (Hit song by hip-hot artist Soulja Boy.)
- +You Belong With Me (Hit song by artist Taylor Swift.)
(if there is a "+" before the search it means the searches had the same amount of searches.)