20 Top quotes from SMX Munich and A4uExpo Amsterdam
The good thing about live twittering a conference is that you have a lot of notes at the end. It makes writing a recap so much easier and even after two conferences in less than two weeks, you still remember a lot of things by just looking into your twitterstream. After publishing my top 10 tweets of SES New York last time, this time I would like to offer you the top 20 quotes of SMX Munich and A4uexpo Amsterdam.
Disclaimer: Please note that some quotes were in German, so don't take the words too litterally.
Pic.1 SMX Munich: Webmaster on the Roof Allstars Live panel - Marcus "Mediadonis" Tandler, Mikkel DeMib Svendsen, Bob Rains, Rand Fishkin, Ralf "Fridaynite" Götz, Johannes "Sistrix" Beus. (Photo: Simon Harlinghausen)
20. "It's not about the conversion rate optimization tools, it's how you use the tools."
These two quotes reflect in my opinion the most important things about conversion optimization: Wrong test setups, wrong interpretation of data and also too short A/B test are the most common errors when people try to optimize their conversion rate.
15. "Maybe we need a little disclaimer here, because hacking is illegal in most countries"
14. "Don't use bid management as an autopilot for your campaigns. It's only a consultant."
I totally agree on this: I tried a lot of different bid management systems and I would never let the bid management do my work. Good systems can be very usefull organizing your campaigns and helping you with making decisions, but it never replaces the SEA manager.
13. "This is important for merchants: if you use the canonical tag right, an affiliate can never get good rankings with the affiliate url!"
12. "Affiliates prefer a good conversion rate over a good commission"
10. "If you increase the number of words in your query, the results normally get worse."
I really have doubts about this one, but I am using Google, not MSN :)
9. "2.7% of links are nofollowed, 73% of those are internal! So nofollow is used more often internally than externally"
8. "Only 3% of the page responds are 301 redirects. 6% of the page responds are other redirects"
Rand brought a lot of numbers to Munich. For me the most surpirsing ones were those two. It seems that in the web most people still use the wrong type of redirects (yes I know, there are reasons to use other redirects than 301 :))
Besides that rel=nofollow is used more often for internal links than external links. Interesting if you think about the reason why the nofollow attribute was created: fighting comment spam.
Rand isn't only a great marketeer, but also a great dancer. (Photo: Simon Harlinghausen)
7. "The best link bait ever is probably one of my best friends who decided to have a sex operation. Now that's a f*****g link bait that works!"
6. "Microsoft should start attacking small children"
5. "Do you build nofollow links? Yes, you should! Because you don't care about pagerank, do you? And even more YES, because normal users don't care about NOFOLLOW either. So if you don't have nofollow links it could be a footprint"
A very good presentation by Christoph Cemper. For a conference he really went deep into the subject.
4. "It's a strange situation: Users relying more on search, but expect to be disappointed"
An interesting keynote and actually it is strange: after e-mail search is the most popular application on the internet, but the users are still not very positive on search and 1 out of 4 queries is succesful. Besides better search quality Stefan Weitz also plead for improving the user experience. I'm wondering why Microsoft is not trying this? Especially in Germany with their 5% marketshare they don't have much to lose!
3. "Newspapers are the blackhats of 2009!"
2. "F**k inspiration, get links"
1. "Adapt paranoia as a lifestyle"
Tagcloudblogger facebook gmail google earth russia google adwords event china research interview video ads mobile searchcowboys europe business social indonesia ses privacy yahoo search engine strategies apple internet blog analytics tools iphone images london smx twitter matt cutts google maps funny google wave yandex youtube website